• I have played piano since age five and trombone since age 11
• I played trombone in my section and was band president, section leader, and drum major in both my high school band and in the UT Longhorn Band
• I continue to perform with the UT Alumni Band
• I participated in choir and theater in both high school and college
• I have two children enrolled in the HCMS and WHS band programs and have one on the way
• I understand that the benefits of being involved in Fine Arts goes well beyond making noise on an instrument, singing on risers and memorizing lines of a play.
One of my opponent's supporters once asked me if I would cut an extra-curricular teacher over an academic teacher. I don’t think this is a question we should have to ask ourselves. If we believe in public education (and I do), if we see the value of going beyond the mediocrity that the state funding provides (and I do), then we will have to find a way to fund it. From this bit of my personal background history, I think you know where my allegiances lie and what I will advocate for if elected as your Trustee.
I will not shy away from asking our community to support investments that support our Fine Arts programs.
It will be hard.
It will take bringing people together.
It will take volunteer time well beyond the normal obligations of a Trustee.
I am prepared to do all that and more as your Trustee for Place Four.